Update July 24, 2013: The 2012-2013 Proof of Concept granting program is closed.
LSDF has merged Commercialization and PreCede grants into a single grant type, called Proof of Concept grants, that is open to both non-profit and for-profit Washington entities.
Proof of Concept grants are intended to enhance the commercial viability of intellectual property developed by non-profit organizations or to enhance the competitiveness of early-stage companies for private equity investment. The maximum award is $250,000.
LSDF is implementing a new submission and review process for 2012-2013:
- Year-round application submission
- Monthly pre-proposal reviews, including an applicant presentation and interview
- Quarterly proposal reviews and awards by the LSDF Board of Trustees
All applicants must submit a pre-proposal to be considered for a grant. Only a subset of pre-proposals will be invited to submit a proposal. Invitations to submit a full proposal expire on July 23, 2013.
Up to $7,000,000 will be available for award through September 2013, with no specific allocations or quotas by grant type (Proof of Concept vs. Opportunity) or applicant organization type (for-profit vs. non-profit). As awards are made, the remaining balance of funds will be available here.
Update March 15, 2013: LSDF has posted the following documents:
- A revised Request for Proposals (RFP). All applicants should review this document carefully and note the changes from the prior RFP.
- An FAQ focused on LSDF’s grant payback requirements. For-profit entities are especially encouraged to read this FAQ carefully before applying for LSDF funding.
Awards are subject to specific grant agreement terms and conditions negotiated between the recipient organizations and the Life Sciences Discovery Fund. Awards are contingent pending final grant agreement execution.
Update December 14, 2012: Awards for fall quarter 2012 were announced in December 2012.
Update March 11, 2013: Awards for winter quarter 2013 were announced in March 2013.
Update June 27, 2013: Awards for spring quarter 2013 were announced in June 2013.
Update September 13, 2013: Awards for summer quarter 2013 were announced in September 2013.