Matching Grants – program and project – require strategic co-investment by external funders. All applicants must speak with LSDF staff to determine if a pre-proposal may be submitted:
- Program grants support large-scale life sciences commercialization-related initiatives. The maximum award is $1 million in total costs; a 1:3 cash match of LSDF funds is required. Up to $1.5 million is available through September 2015.
- Project grants support studies to advance promising health-related technologies along the commercialization pathway. The maximum award is $500,000 in total costs; a 1:1 cash match of LSDF funds is required. Up to $3 million is available through September 2015.
For-profit entities are not eligible if they have received more than $500,000 in equity investment, including convertible debt.
Submission and review process:
- Three cycles of pre-proposal review, proposal review, and awards by the LSDF Board of Trustees through September 2015.
- There is no limit on the number of pre-proposals accepted per cycle, but only pre-proposals invited by LSDF will be reviewed.
- Pre-proposals are reviewed every four to five months. An interview is not required at the pre-proposal stage.
- Invited proposals are due approximately one month after pre-proposal evaluation and are reviewed within one month of receipt. Proposal reviews require a presentation and interview.
- Awards are made approximately two months after proposal reviews.
- An invitation to submit either a pre-proposal or a proposal is valid only for the applicable submission date that immediately follows that invitation. Invitations do not carry over to subsequent application cycles.
All applicants must submit a pre-proposal through LSDF’s online system to be considered for a grant. Only a subset of pre-proposals will be invited to submit a proposal.
There are no specific award allocations or quotas by applicant organization type (for-profit vs. non-profit). As awards are made, the remaining balance of funds will be available on this page.
Update December 15, 2014: Awards for Cycle 1 were announced in December 2014.
Next Pre-Proposal Submission Deadline
|Next Award Decision Meeting||Balance of Available Funds|
May 11, 2015
As of December 15, 2014